Every year, 16 October is Restart a Heart Day- a day that raises the public's awareness of the importance of hands-only CPR.
In South Australia, sudden cardiac arrest affects more than 1,800 people each year.
Do you know what to do?
Do you know what to do if you see someone having a cardiac arrest? It is easier than you think. You can restart a heart in just three steps:
1. Call 000. We will stay on the phone with you and talk you through the steps.
- Place both hands in the centre of the chest.
- Compress the chest. Keep the song "Stayin Alive" in your head- this is the perfect beat.
- Push hard, you can't do any harm.
3. Shock. If you can access an AED, switch it on and follow instructions.
By knowing CPR, you can increase the chances of survival.